New Zealand Cancels Pakistan Tour Citing Security Concerns: Is it a PCB failure?

Cricket

Pakistan were looking forward to host New Zealand in an international cricket series for the first time in 18 years. New Zealand abruptly calling off their tour just before the first of three One-day Internationals was to begin in Rawalpindi due to a security threat on Friday.

 

PCB released a statement saying that they were “unilaterally suspending” all the games but Raja warned NZC that the matter will be taken up before the International Cricket Council (ICC) very soon.

 


 

Fans, analysts and cricket enthusiasts took to Twitter expressing anger and exasperation, and questioned whether the whole situation could have been handled better.

 

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Rameez Raja: Which world is NZ living in?

 

Raja lashed out at New Zealand Cricket for backing out of their limited-overs tour at the last minute on Friday.

 

“Crazy day it has been! Feel so sorry for the fans and our players.”Walking out of the tour by taking a unilateral approach on a security threat is very frustrating. Especially when it’s not shared!! Which world is NZ living in??NZ will hear us at ICC,” he tweeted

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by REIGN (@reign.pk)


Babar Azam: “Extremely disappointed”

 

The PCB made it clear they did not endorse what they termed a “unilateral” decision by NZC to abandon the tour, while captain Babar Azam tweeted that he was “extremely disappointed”.

 


Fawad Chaudhry: NZ ‘satisfied’ with security

 

Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry tweeted that Prime Minister Imran Khan had a telephonic conversation earlier in the day with New Zealand’s premier, Jacinda Ardern, who expressed satisfaction over security measures taken by Pakistan for the visitors.

 

While hailing Pakistan’s intelligence agencies as “among the best intelligence systems in the world”, the minister said the New Zealand prime minister had sought postponement of the series “in view of the policy of extreme caution”.

 


PTI Senator Faisal Javed Khan: ‘Beyond understanding’

 

Like the fans, Khan was left equally shocked by the development, saying the last-minute cancellation of the tour by the Kiwis was beyond comprehension.

 


Kamran Akmal: ‘Sad day for Pakistan cricket’

 

Wicket-keeper batsman Kamran Akmal was also devastated by the news, and termed it a sad day for the sport at the national level.

 


Fakhre Alam: ‘NZ should share the threat with Pakistan’

 

Singer and activist Fakhre Alam said as a Pakistani citizen, “I want to know the credible threat that [New Zealand Cricket] found. “It is only fair to share that intelligence with the Government of Pakistan so that if there is a real threat it can be neutralised immediately & lives are protected,” he tweeted.

 


Daren Sammy expressed his shock

 

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Pakistan Cricket (@therealpcb)


Renowned commentator Mike Haysman expressed his disappointment

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Pakistan Cricket (@therealpcb)


 

Huge Financial losses

 

According to Dawn: The Pakistan Cricket Board will suffer financial losses in millions as a result of New Zealand abruptly calling off their tour. Apart from the security losses, this is a blow to the efforts the PCB, the government and the security agencies who had been making to fully restore international cricket in Pakistan.

 

Final Word

This certainly is a black day in the history of Pakistan Cricket. We hope that the ICCI will take notice of this act and Pakistan will the case of compensation against New Zealand.

 

 

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.